Finance your Study

Are you a status holder in The Netherlands and would you like to study? There are several ways to find ways to finance your study period. With the help of DUO or UAF. 

Studying is not for free in The Netherlands. If you are under 30 (and after september 2017 also if you are older) you can enter a loan system to finance your study at DUO.
More information (in Dutch) is here.
You can also try to contact UAF to check if they can contribute to your study route.

Mainly, that depends of your age …

Younger than 30 Years?

If you are under 30, you must contact the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO). You can get a loan from them to do the Inburgering (max. 10.000 for Dutch courses) but also a regular study loan as all Dutch. The loan consists of 3 parts:

Study costs

Travel card you get

Extra, for living
If you acquire your diploma within 10 years, you don’t need to pay the loan back of the 2nd and 3rd part.

Immediately apply for student finance with DUO

30 Years or Older?

If you are 30 years old or over, have finished your inburgeringscourses and you have at least a mid level diploma? Maybe you can have financial support at the organization ‘STUDIE EN WERK VOOR HOGER OPGELEIDE VLUCHTELINGEN (UAF)’. This organization helps refugee students with financing their studies. There are some conditions you have to meet before receiving their help. The financial support you can get, depends on your personal situation. The UAF also offers counselling during your study period and road to find work.

Immediately apply for help at UAF

NEWS: from september 2017 ALSO people who are 30 or older (untill 55) can receive a loan from DUO. All Dutch can. This is called the ‘Life Long Learning Credit’ of ‘Levanlangleren-krediet’.

Your Municipality Can Help Sometimes

Many municipalities have extra local funds so support newcomers with studying. Inform at your local municipality if there are possibilities for that. For example in some cases if you are 30 or older, you can study while keeping your social benefits (uitkering).  Inform at your municipality for that.

Stichting voor Vluchtelingen-Studenten UAF