If you are a newcomer and want to change your home address in the Netherlands, what are the steps that must be taken?

How do I inform the municipality of a change of address?

If you move, you must inform the municipality of your change of address, either in person or in writing. Sometimes, if you’re moving within the same municipality, you can do so online. The new municipality will update your address in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Who can inform the municipality?

The following people can inform the municipality of a change of address: 

  • everyone over the age of 18 (for themselves) ;
  • children aged 16 or 17 (for themselves);
  • cohabiting spouses or registered partners (for themselves and each other);
  • the parent, guardian or caregiver of children aged under the age of 18;
  • the parents of children aged 18 years or older who still live at home;
  • people aged 18 years or older (for parents who live with them);
  • a guardian (for a person placed under guardianship);
  • an authorised representative.

Change of address deadline

You must inform the municipality of your change of address anywhere between 4 weeks prior to moving and 5 days after moving. The moving date that you provide will be treated as the day on which your address changed. If you inform the municipality more than 5 days after moving, the date on which you inform the municipality will be treated as the moving date. Municipalities can impose a fine of up to €325 if you do not inform them in time of important changes to your personal information.

Documents required

You must provide the following documents when informing the municipality of a change of address: 

  • a valid identity document (passport, driving licence, Dutch identity card or alien’s identity card);
  • proof of occupancy (rental contract, contract of sale or declaration of consent from the property’s main occupant).

Continuing to receive services in your new municipality

Have you have applied or arranged to receive services in your current municipality and are you now moving elsewhere? If so, you should ask your new municipality about the services that you are eligible for and how you can apply for them.
Services provided under the Social Support Act (WMO) or benefit provided under the Work and Social Assistance Act are not linked to the Personal Records Database (BRP). Each municipality administers these services individually. This means that it is not possible to say which changes will be automatically passed on if you move to a new municipality.

Source : https://www.government.nl